Data as a general concept and refers to the fact that some existing information or knowledge is represented or coded in some form suitable for better usage or processing. In our Google Slide Show Data Representation, Access & Integration Explained at the end of this post, we explain in great detail how data is being represented, accessed, shared and integrated.
In a nutshell data is how we express observation in reusable form. Where as the term “Observation” refers to our perception of entity relationships and is the perception of relationships between entities, like people, music, documents, calendars, diaries, books and many more. An entity is a distinctly identifiable thing, through the use of an Identifier.
Data is the basis of Information, Knowledge, and Wisdom.
Data, information, knowledge and wisdom are closely related concepts, but each has its own role in relation to the other. Data is collected and analysed to create information suitable for making decisions, while knowledge is derived from extensive amounts of experience dealing with information on a subject. Some complement the series “data”, “information” and “knowledge” with “wisdom”, which would mean the status of a person in possession of a certain “knowledge” who also knows under which circumstances is good to use it.
Data can exist in a variety of forms could be presented as numbers or text on paper, as bits and bytes stored in electronic memory, or as facts stored in a person’s mind. Strictly speaking, data is the plural of datum, a single piece of information. In practice, however, people use data as both the singular and plural form of the word.
Understanding Data Summary
- The term “Data” refers to observation expressed in reusable form
- The term “Observation” refers to our perception of Entity Relationships
- Entity Relationships are expressed using a language
- Statements are represented using a variety of notations; persisted to paper or digital documents; and transmissible using a variety of serialisation formats.
Google Slide Show:
Data Representation, Access & Integration Explained
Additional Links and Information:
- Business Intelligence for NDIS & Aged Care Service Providers - June 23, 2022
- DATANOVA ISO/IEC 27001:2013 SECURITY MANAGEMENT CERTIFIED - April 21, 2022
- Christmas Message 2021 - December 9, 2021